- Scott Hall 228
- Office Hours: We 12:00 - 2:00 and by appointment
Program Area(s): Methods; Experimental Methods; International Relations
Falling Behind: How Americans’ Anxiety over Status Affects U.S. Foreign Policy
Dissertation Committee: Nelson, Stephen C (Chair); Krcmaric, Daniel; Druckman, James; Wohlforth, William
Research Interests: American foreign policy; public opinion; status, prestige, and reputation in international politics.
Jonathan is interested in American foreign policy and the role of public opinion and social mobilization (in the US and abroad) in affecting foreign policy outcomes. His current research focuses on the domestic determinants of US foreign policy, including how Americans formulate foreign policy preferences from trade preferences to attitudes towards military interventions.
- Schulman, Jonathan. “Young Republicans Split from Trump and GOP Elders on US Foreign Policy: 3 Charts.” The Conversation, February, 12, 2021.
- Schulman, Jonathan. “Americans’ Support for Trade and Intervention Abroad Depends on Which Country Is Involved.” LSE United States Politics and Policy (blog), September 7, 2020.
- Jonathan Schulman, Review of Diana C. Mutz’s Winners and Losers: The Psychology of Foreign Trade, International Affairs 98, no. 4. July 5, 2022: 1465–66.
- Jonathan Schulman. "Review of Desch, Michael C., Cult of the Irrelevant: The Waning Influence of Social Science on National Security." H-Diplo, H-Net Reviews. August, 2019.
- "Needing to Be the Best: How Worries Over World Position Drive State Interest.", International Studies Association, April 2022
- "Fear of Falling Behind: How Global Status Concerns Affect Support for Domestic Policies.", International Studies Association, March 2022
- "The Self, the Nation, and Geopolitical Status: An Analysis of Americans’ Trade Preferences.", International Studies Association, April 2021
- "Second-World Competition in Vietnam: Analyzing the Implications of the Vietnam War on Sino-Soviet Relations.", The Ohio State University Denman Undergraduate Research Forum, May 2018
Honors & Awards:
- American Political Science Association Summer Centennial Center Research Grant, 2022
- Minar Memorial Summer Award, 2022