Declare a major or minor
How to Declare a Major or Minor
Students may declare a major or minor in political science by completing the corresponding Weinberg College Declaration of Major or Declaration of Minor form. This process can be completed remotely. See the instructions and additional details below to declare your major or minor:
- Download the declaration form and fill out the student and major/minor information sections.
- Mac users: Please fill out forms in Adobe Reader or Acrobat rather than Preview. Information filled out in Preview is not retained when the pdf is opened in other applications.
- Adobe Reader is available as a free download: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
- Save the pdf named as: “<Your Last Name>_<Your Student ID>”.
- Email the form to the Undergraduate Program Coordinator, Libby Wait, at email@example.com.
The Program Coordinator will review the form and submit it to the Weinberg College Office of Undergraduate Advising. Department advisors are not assigned in Political Science; you are welcome to reach out to and meet with any of the Political Science advisors. See more information on department advising here.
- Concentrations are not required for the Political Science major or minor and do not need to be included on the declaration forms. The thematic concentrations can serve as a guide for structuring your coursework to explore a certain theme but do not appear on a formal record or transcript.
- The catalog requirement year is which undergraduate catalog requirements you are following. Weinberg College students can follow the requirements in any version of the undergraduate catalog that was in effect while they were undergraduates at Northwestern. For example, if you entered Northwestern in Fall 2019 and the requirements for your major changed the next year, you can choose to follow the requirements in the 2019-20 Undergraduate Catalog or to follow the revised version in the 2020-21 Undergraduate Catalog.
- You must submit your major or minor declaration form at least one week before pre-registration begins in order to be eligible to pre-register for political science classes.