Program Area(s): Comparative Politics; American Politics; Methods
Regional Specialization(s): United States
Building a Civil Rights Agenda: The Democratic Party and the Origins of Racial Liberalism
Dissertation Committee: Reuel Rogers (chair), Chloe Thurston, Anthony S. Chen
Research Interests: Race and ethnic politics; American political development; Law and public policy; Comparative historical analysis; Urban politics; Asian American politics.
- Masuoka, Natalie, Kumar Ramanathan, and Jane Junn. “New Asian American Voters: Political Incorporation and Participation in 2016.” Political Research Quarterly: April 2019. doi:10.1177/1065912919843342
- “From Civil Rights to Social Policy: The Political Development of Family and Medical Leave Policies in the United States, 1964–1978.” Presented at Social Science History Association Conference, Montreal, QC, Canada, November 2017; NU American Political Development and Social Policy Workshop, Evanston, IL, May 2018; Policy History Conference, Tempe, AZ, May 2018; Law & Society Association Conference, Toronto, ON, Canada, June 2018; and Toronto Political Development Workshop, Toronto, ON, October 2019.
- "Pursuing Social Policy Expansion through Civil Rights." Presented at NU American Political Development and Social Policy Workshop, Evanston, IL, May 2019.
- “Analyzing Peer and Mentor Networks in Political Science through the Acknowledgements Sections of Dissertations.” With S.R. Gubitz and Amanda Jadidi d’Urso. Presented at Midwest Political Science Association Conference, Chicago, IL, May 2019.
- “Justifying the Carceral State: Advocacy Frames and White Opposition to Criminal Justice Reform.” With Brianna White and Denzel Avant. Presented at Midwest Political Science Association Conference, Chicago, IL, April 2018; Law & Society Association Conference, Toronto, ON, Canada, June 2018; and American Political Science Association Conference, Boston, MA, September 2018.
- “City Trenches in a Digital World: Neighborhood-level social media groups as a site of civil society.” With Tom Ogorzalek. Presented at the Midwest Political Science Association Conference, Chicago, IL, April 2018.
- American Bar Foundation/Northwestern University Doctoral Fellowship in Law and Social Science, 2020-22
- American Political Science Association Public Scholarship Program, 2020
- Minar Memorial Summer Award, 2019
- American Politics Summer Research Grant, 2019 and 2017
- Minar Prize for Outstanding Research Paper Written in the First Two Years, 2018
- Howard Penniman Scholarship for Graduate Study, 2015